Saturday, July 28, 2012

One Good Deed...


About a week ago, I fixed a lady's sewing machine. When I didn't charge her, I told her all I did was replace her bobbin case with one from a parts machine someone had given me. I told her if she hears of anyone about to toss out a machine, please grab it for me because I can always use parts. She said she had a machine out in the garage that was worn out and good only for parts, I could have it if I wanted it.



Turned out to be a Singer 401. I am partial to the Singer slant needle machines because a 301 was my first sewing machine and a 401 was my second, so I took it.



She said that it had been used so much that thread has worn a groove in the housing of the machine, the thread kept getting caught in the groove and shredding or breaking. I looked closer and, sure enough, there was a groove just above the last thread guide on the housing.  I threaded the machine and she was correct - the thread runs right through that groove.



I toyed with several options: grinding the groove smooth, installing a rub strip over the groove so the thread would no longer catch in it but being low-tech, I opted to just bend that thread guide at the groove about 1/8" so the thread no longer runs through the groove.


In a quick test, it sews fine. I need to clean and oil and give it a real test tomorrow.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a score! Awesome!

Quilter Mom of 3 said...

That's awesome!

My dad collects sewing machines too, thought I don't think he's lucked out quite like that!!

Brother Sewing Machine said...

The author has a good heart because he won't let the tailor to pay his light fixing in the machine. It is one of the evidences that not all task has a money payment.

Christopher@BrotherSewingMachine said...

Nice one. Even if you had work to fix it but you did not ask for money to pay. Your character is appreciated. You are great also because you can used the other sewing machine...

Unknown said...

I have a singer genie 353 that broke while sewing heavy upholstery material. The gear that drives the lower assy has the teeth worn down. It is the plastic one that can be ordered if it is the one with a set screw. I dismantled it to the point where I needed to pull the axle that drives the broken gear underneath. I am stymied at this point. Bottom line the owner says they will buy a new one. Do you or do you know anyone who may want this machine. It has all the covers, owners manual, and will work of this gear is replaced. I found one on line for $15. It is still apart as if no one wants it, I am throwing it away. Paulzylich@yahoo.com