Saturday, February 15, 2014

Auction Update

We went to the auction last night and I'm glad I'm not in the beginning phases of collecting sewing machines, because I probably would have had to make two trips to carry home all my purchases in my minivan.

The first machine up for bids turned out to be a Wheeler & Wilson W9. This is kind of a landmark model because it was the last domestic machine made by W&W before Singer took over their plant and switched it to industrial machines. The 'W' in Singer industrial model numbers like 111W155 indicate they were made at the former Wheeler & Wilson factory.  Regardless of the collectability, this machine only brought $45.


Next was the Singer 15 in a 6-drawer cabinet sitting next to the W&W.  


Being a more recognizable name and in obviously better cosmetic condition, bidding ended at $65.

After a delay while they auctioned off tray lots and box lots of household items, they came to the Martha Washington sewing cabinet.  


We have two of those and paid over $100 for each.  This one needs some love but appears to be in original condition.  It only brought $40.

Last, they got to the Singer 99-13 portable in the drop-in table.  I got a chance to look underneath during the preview and learned that that kneebar hanging down below the table is physically connected to the machine, not a separate controller. Space was tight under there and I didn't have a flashlight so I couldn't investigate further.


This was the only machine I even considered bidding on solely because of the uniqueness of the table but bidding got to $85 and I was unwilling to spend that more than that for a very common machine in an intriguing table.

I had hoped there would be some vintage sewing attachments and accessories separate from the machines.  There were several boxes of sewing "stuff" but it was just thread, needles, binding and other notions I would never use, so I didn't even stay to see what they sold for.  For an evening's entertainment, I spent $1.95 for a soft drink and came home empty-handed.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OldSewingMachines
http://www.etsy.com/shop/OldeTowneStitchery



2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Do you own a treadle? What are your thoughts on them? I understand why people like them. I think I'd even enjoy using one. I own alot of vintage sewing machines but a treadle was always at the bottom the list of machines I wanted. I'll probably find one that's too nice to pass up eventually and I buy it. Any thoughts on which one I should look for?

Unknown said...

When I was in my accumulating phase, I had 5-6 treadles, all Singer. I am down to two and don't plan to get any more mainly because they take up too much space. They are quiet and sew as well as any other and don't need to be near an electrical outlet. Now I prefer motorized machines with zig zag capability. I would stick with Singers because parts are easy to find and not expensive. -Ed