Sunday, April 23, 2017

Downsizing in Preparation for Retirement

    As I approach my 72nd birthday, Kathie and I find that it is time to rid ourselves of our 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath, 3-story house and look for a home offering one level living.  We will list our home for sale tomorrow and have spent the last month "de-cluttering".  Because the next house will be smaller, we also must downsize our space-consuming hobbies.  Kathie will probably lose her longarm quilting machine and I have to find new homes for many of the machines, parts, tools, and manuals that I have been hoarding for the past 45 years.

    To that end, I have started listing in My Etsy Shop some tools, manuals, and parts that I would not let go before now.
   My goal is to list four additional items or lots per day until everything of value is gone.

   Because I don't know how much time I will have before I have to clear out this house, I plan to leave these items on Etsy for about a month, then transition any leftovers to eBay.  Anything that doesn't sell on eBay will go to the landfill.

    I also have a collection of miniature sewing machines that don't fit the criteria for Etsy.


They range from 1 inch high to about 4 inches high.  They are in as-found condition, some new, some used.  One with a bear has the bear broken loose and will need to be re-glued.  If you think you might be interested in this grouping, email me at oldsewingmachines@gmail.com.

2 comments:

dianepproctor@gmail.com said...

Good luck on your retirement! I am not quite there yet, but I have already decluttered my home and gotten rid of half the house a few years ago. It felt great!

I have a Viking 5530 which I would like to find a new home for. I am wondering if anyone would like it for parts?

Do you know of anyone buying Viking machines from the 70's?

ronsondalby said...

I hope your stronger than I am.

I downsized last year to a 99K and a 222K. And felt nothing but sorrow and regret in a very short time.

This past six months I've been collecting like mad and I'm back up to 30 or so now. The size limitation of my small house have forced me to stop. That's ok as just seeing my pond of bentwood boxes again is enough.

One thing I know now: I won't make that mistake I made last year again while I'm physically capable of sewing and tinkering with those lovely big hunks of iron.